Ozone (O3) therapy is the process of introducing ozone into the body to promote healing. It leverages the power of ozone molecules, which feature three oxygen molecules, for therapeutic effects. In a medical setting, O3 can be used for the treatment of disease by deactivating harmful bacteria and viruses, among other benefits. For instance, it can also benefit people experiencing chronic or systemic conditions, such as:
- Autoimmune disease
- Cardiovascular conditions
- Degenerative disease
There are several ways ozone therapy can be administered. For one, it can be delivered intravenously, either in a gaseous state or via an ozonated saline drip. It may also be administered via insufflation or as ozonated water.
Regardless of how it’s given, here are some of the most compelling benefits of ozone therapy:
- Improved immune system: Ozone therapy has been shown to activate the immune system, thus improving the body’s ability to fight illness.
- Increased oxygenation: The body’s cells need ample oxygen to produce energy and keep us healthy. Since ozone has extra oxygen molecules, it improves oxygen levels in the cells and increases their ability to reach tissues, thereby promoting overall health.
- Better disease-fighting: Ozone has the unique ability to target and kill viruses, bacteria, yeast, fungi, and protozoa. Since harmful agents don’t have the same exterior as healthy cells, ozone can seek them out and destroy them, thus preventing them from latching onto cells and spreading illness.
- Boosted energy: Because ozone increases the oxygen level in cells, it aids in the production of energy. This can be especially beneficial for older adults, as the energy production process often loses efficiency with age.
- Reduced oxidation: While oxidation is important to sustaining life, too much of it can be harmful. Ozone controls the process by promoting the proper balance of oxidants and antioxidants in the body.
Ultimately, ozone therapy has vast therapeutic potential. Whether as a complementary therapy or an alternative treatment, this innovative solution could help to improve patient outcomes in a variety of conditions.